Posted on

Taking It Easy on Exercise?

Taking It Easy on Exercise?

Many of you have been hitting the gym day in and day out for the past few months, and you still are not happy with the way you look.  And the rest of you might say you are eating healthy, but you don’t have time to work out.  The result? Your jeans are getting snug.

To put it in perspective, one’s resting metabolic rate (RMR) accounts for 70% of your total energy expenditure (TEE) for the day.  The thermic effect of food (TEF) is the energy used to process & digest food, and accounts for 6-10% of your TEE.  The other 20% of your TEE depends on your physical activity level.  So, 20% of your weight is dependent on the exercise you put in, and the other 70-80% is dependent mostly on your diet, and somewhat on genetics, medication, age, and/or other factors.

 

Before you find yourself in the fitting room trying on a bigger pant size, make a new commitment.  Work on BOTH your nutrition and exercise.  Even a little bit of gradual change per week can make huge changes in your body fat composition. You could be exercising to your best ability, but eating back your calories.  Or you could be eating a totally healthy diet, but your metabolism isn’t working hard enough to burn fat because you are sedentary.

Losing weight is NOT easy.  Staying fit is NOT easy.  But taking it easy on exercise is not easy either.  You’ll constantly be disappointed in your health if you don’t act now. It is important for my Personal Training clients to eat properly during an exercise program. And I stress to my Nutrition clients that they need to stay on top of their workouts.   It is a two-way street and you can’t accomplish much unless you focus on both.